Wednesday 12 September 2012

I guess I'm a Runner Now

This past weekend I crossed one goal of my proverbial list: Completed a half marathon. For those of you who don't know a half marathon is 13 miles (21kms). 

I had two goals going into the race: I wanted to finish it and I didn't want to walk one step of it.
I did both!
I finished in two hours and two minutes. Fifth in my age category. 
Not too shabby, seeing as the longest I had ever run was 11 kms. 
I tend to get bored running, but here the adrenaline kept me going:)


 Jason and the boys came with me for support. Jason probably had it worse then me since we had to wake up the boys at 6am to get to the race in time.

 These boys are my life!

This is my approaching the finish line.

Aside from my ipod there were a few things that I told myself in order to keep going. Especially with those hills!
I didn't want to be the one fainting or vomiting or carried away on the stretcher.
I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it.
I repeated many times the following things:
If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.
My strength comes from the Lord.
Cohen will be waiting at the finish line for me. (He asked if I was racing like Lightning McQueen!)

Around mile 8 or so I took a moment to just take in how I was feeling. A beautiful morning, beautiful scenery and it was an adrenaline like no other. 

I felt at peace.
I felt amazing.
I felt strong.

Then...

I felt sore.
So sore.

From my hips down to my toes.

Three days later and its mostly my feet that hurt (Jason did tell my to get better shoes).
If I sit for two long then my hips hurt again.

I would am going to do a half again!

If I wasn't so sore I would do it right now.

I've always told people I wasn't a runner.

But now I guess I am.




5 comments:

  1. Amazing!! Pure and simple! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Tamara!!! Way to go! I'm still hurting too - my hip flexors! I love that your family was able to be there to watch!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proud of you!! I wanna do it tooo!! So help me God... You girls inspire me, thank you : )
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You CAN do it Isabel! Let me know when you do and I will be there to cheer you on:)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time for my little blog!